- Stain is waterbased and soaks into the timber decking
- Stain leaves the natural surface of the timber decking as it is not a coating on top, it is what the timber soaks up
- Oil is a protective coating for your decking and sits on top of the wood
- It can stain your decking a colour
- You can also purchase oil that is clear so that you can preserve the current colour of the timber decking
- As some woods already have a colour you may want to use a clear oil to protect your decking without having to change the colour
- It lasts longer than an oil because it is penetrated into the timber decking
*TIP - you can buy a 3 year coating in some hardware stores. This will save you from having to redo this every year.